Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Showing Love~October

Is anyone else SHOCKED that October is over?!?! October flew right by me. lol I'm not ready for the cold and snow yet. :/ October was insanely busy for us, but I have been making a conscious effort to go out of my way each week to encourage someone. Here are my October "Showing Love" activities.... :) I hope they encourage you to keep on your giving path right on through Thanksgiving!

 I have a coworker who is always on the go. She works insane hours and I doubt has very much "relaxing" time, so I put together a little "relax" bag with a PINK lotion, a candle, and a book of short stories for those in love. (She's getting married this coming summer.) I don't think people usually treat her this way because she comes across as very tough and "I've got this" so I think a gift recognizing that she's a girl and needs a breather, was really surprising to her. She was visibly moved by the gift and it was a good exercise for my heart as well. 


Another coworker who has been a wonderful and sweet friend to me over the last year and a half received a "Friends" glass (with awesome colored ice cubes lol) and a little devotional book. She has a little toddler and a busy life and I'm hoping the short devotions encourage her to seek Christ. I really focused on my coworkers without even consciously choosing to focus on them. I picked up breakfast one morning for another coworker (since she and I are typically the first two in each morning). It filled me with such joy to see my coworkers's faces light up from feeling loved and appreciated. I was amazed at how unexpected a kind gesture was. Says something about our culture doesn't it when a small gift or kind gesture shocks someone.

I also had another amazing opportunity to serve others and show them love by hosting a surprise birthday party for my Mimi. Our home was bursting at the seams with people, and I loved every single minute of it! :) Mimi has spent her whole life loving on us and it was such a joy and privilege to serve her back in this way. We also were able to have our cousins stay overnight with us and that was truly a joy as well! God has blessed me with an unbelievably wonderful family, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to love on them!

I also had the opportunity to treat a friend to dinner. It's nothing special, but it's a little way to say, "I care about you." I know that not everyone is in a financial situation where they can maybe do something like that, and that's okay! But, it's not an excuse to never show love either! Perhaps a great option for you would be to invite a friend over for coffee and some fresh baked cookies. I did that the other week as well, although it was mostly for time sake and because my house is more comfortable than Starbucks. lol I needed to make a dessert for the following day, so I popped some cookies in the oven while I prepped the dessert, and my friend sat at our island and we chatted while being productive! It was great! I was able to fulfill my obligations while spending enjoyable time with a friend. 

My point is, it doesn't have to be extravagant, it just has to be thoughtful! You can do it! Keep up the good work, only a few weeks left until Thanksgiving! You've got this!





No comments:

Post a Comment