Monday, February 24, 2014

Who Deserves Your Highest Praise?


Who Deserves Your Highest Praise?

There is a song that has been on my heart the last few days...I meditate on these words and the indescribable holiness of our God. I wanted to share these lyrics with you in hope that it would put the same awe in your heart for the Lord that I have been experiencing.

I don't think I have ever dwelt on the word holy before like I have the last few days...what does the word holy mean? How does it apply to my life? The dictionary describes "holy" as:

ho·ly

  [hoh-leeadjective, ho·li·er, ho·li·est.
1.
specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
2.
dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religiona holy man.
3.
saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
4.
having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
5.
entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.

The word "holy" is found 546 times in the Bible. Obviously it's an important word! there are several ways to that this adjective is used; it could be an entirely separate study on how we are to be holy like God:

1 Peter 1:16
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

But for this post, I would like to focus on the holiness of our God, specifically under definition #5 above: "entitled to worship or veneration (a feeling of awe, respect, reverence) as or as if sacred." 

There are so many worship songs that explore this important attribute of God. A song that is in my hymnbook that I am absolutely in love with is called "Be Unto Your Name." I am so excited to share the lyrics with you....

BE UNTO YOUR NAME

We are a moment, You are forever;
Lord of the ages, God before time;
We are a vapor, You are eternal;
Love everlasting, Reigning on high.

Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty,
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!
Highest praises, honor, and glory,
Be unto Your name, be unto Your name.

We are the broken, You are the Healer.
Jesus, Redeemer, mighty to save.
You are the love song, we’ll sing forever,
Bowing before You, blessing Your Name!

Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty,
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!
Highest praises, honor, and glory,
Be unto Your name, be unto Your name.


Does that give anyone else chills?!?! :) The reality of how feeble we are and how awesome and powerful our God is is wonderfully portrayed in these lyrics! And then, the automatic response following this humbling realization is raise your hands and voice and say, "Holy, holy, Lord God Almighty!" as if to say, "ONLY YOU ARE WORTHY, JESUS, ONLY YOU!" I still have chills, do you?!

I also love the line "Highest praises, honor, and glory." We give praise and honor to so many fickle things in our daily lives, and sometimes a friend, coworker, or spouse, does deserve some praise, honor, or respect, but the Highest praises go to the Almighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace!

As mentioned before, there are over 500 verses in the Bible with the word "holy" referenced. I love how so many of the verses don't just say, "Holy is the Lord," but rather they say, "Holy, HOLY, HOLY, is the Lord." Like one time isn't enough to express the holiness of God! Does that make you smile?

Isaiah 6:3
And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Revelation 4:8
And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

As you probably know, God recently blessed us with a baby grand piano for our new home. If you go look at my piano right now, you will see that my hymnbook is open to this hymn. I can't get enough of it! I have been really enjoying the accessibility of the piano. I can "break into worship" whenever I want. In the middle of cleaning up dinner, if there's a song on my heart, I can go play it, and then go back to dirty dishes. This may sound silly to some, but this "silly" new blessing, has taken my worship to God to a whole new level. I don't have to be at church, in a group of people, because I don't have a piano anymore; instead I can spend one-on-one time with my Savior, worshiping and saying from my heart, "Holy, holy, Lord God Almighty."

Life is insanely busy, but why not take a moment with me to pause and just meditate on the incredible, indescribable character of your God, and if that doesn't overwhelm you and cause you to cry, "Holy, holy, holy, You are worthy of my highest praise and honor!" you let me know....because we need to talk. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment