Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What to expect in 2014....

is up to you!

There's nothing magical about the ending of a calendar year and the start of another. Because of this, there are some people who decide to ignore "new year's resolutions" as a silly waste of time. I don't necessarily write out a long list of things I want to accomplish or change (especially things related to how I look or how to get more for myself), but I do think it is a natural stopping point for us to reflect on the past year~the blessings, struggles, celebrations, and tears~and develop some personal goals on things that we would like to improve in the new year.

So this year I took a few minutes to stop and think about some things I would like to work on, not just because it's a new year, but because I stopped and evaluated my life. I'm going to share a few of those things with you, and I hope you'll share some of your thoughts with me!

In the coming year (and forever after) I want to:

Be more patient and loving to my husband. This past year I married my best friend~how fun is that?! And while I love him sooooo much, it's easy to get lazy in the relationships that are closest to us. I want to redouble my efforts to show more patience and kindness to him. I have no problem being kind to other people all day long, but when I come home at night I'm tired and sometimes I expect a break from "being nice." How horrible to treat the person I love the most this way! It might be the same way with you and your sibling or parent...we mistreat those we love most, and we need to stop doing this!

Be more understanding and open to the way other believers serve God. I joined a new and very different church from the one I spent the last 20 years in, that was a very hard transition because everyone doesn't do things the way "we always did it." It's so easy to judge people that don't do things exactly like I do, especially when it's the "way I've always done it." Over 2013, I learned a lot about how others can serve Jesus differently within Biblical perimeters and it's okay...I want to continue learning this in the future.

Spend more time in God's Word. Life is busy. This is a constant resolution in my life. I fail and have to start again. I fail again and have to ask forgiveness and try again. I want to get up and start again. I don't want to fit God in when it's convenient, but rather give Him my time first.

Learn to better manage my home. Again, life is busy and time feels short all the time. I LOVE being married, and I want to continue to learn how to balance a happy and peaceful home while working full time and sometimes long hours. I am enjoying learning to cook and am thankful for the home God has given us. I try to remember this while I'm cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. :)

Be flexible with my time and money and service. It's easy for us to get distracted by US~our wants, our desires, our ideas. The world tells us that it's "all about me." Well, that's not what God says. I want to be more aware of those in need around me and open to God's leading to do things for others. All that we have, time, money, love is a gift from God, and is not ours.

So, this is what I want to improve in 2014 and all the years to come! What about you? What can you do to better serve God and those you love in the life to come?

Wishing you a happy and blessed New Year!

HD happy new year wallpaper 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment