Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fond Memories and Chicken Tortilla Soup

Fond Memories and Chicken Tortilla Soup....

This is a max and erma tortilla soup copycat recipe. If you like this soup, then this copycat recipe is for you!

This recipe is definitely going to please your family, especially if you've ever had Max and Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup. I have special memories of this soup at Max and Erma's. Living near Pittsburgh, PA, there are many great shows/musicals/concerts that come to town. While our men may not be big fans of "Art," my mom and I love to dress up and go downtown for a fun, sophisticated girls night out. For my 16th birthday we saw Phantom of the Opera (o my soul!), for another birthday (I'm getting too old to remember which one :/ lol) we saw Wicked (again, o my soul, is the only way to describe this incredible show). We've also seen The Sound of Music (far exceeded our expectations!) Each time we head downtown we have two required stops: Max and Erma's for chicken tortilla soup and Starbucks. I was so excited when I stumbled upon this recipe! The taste of this soup brings back such wonderful memories of birthday dates with my Momma and I love that! 

I have to share this recipe with you~it was so yummy! It was easy to make, I actually made it on a Tuesday night for us to eat on Wednesday evening before we ran out the door to Awana. It's only a few ingredients and you can do a ton of other things while this simmers on the stove~gotta love recipes that encourage multitasking! Since we are on "no spend January," instead of purchasing tortilla strips (which I really wanted because they are so darn cute), I crushed up some whole grain tortilla chips that were in the cupboard...it did the job, just wasn't quite as pretty! :)

Copycat Max & Erma’s Tortilla Soup
 

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1 can reduced fat mushroom soup (10¾ oz cans)
  • 2 cans reduced fat cream of chicken soup (10¾ oz cans)
  • 1 can cheddar soup (I used half a bock of Velveeta instead because I had it on hand and didn't have cheddar soup~it worked great!)
  • 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • ½ can rotel tomatoes
  • ½ jar or 1 cup picante salsa (medium or hot variety) (Regular salsa is just fine!)
  • 1 can green chilies diced and pureed (I was feeling lazy and didn't puree, didn't matter!)
  • 2 garlic gloves minced
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 8 oz chicken cooked and diced into chunks (smaller is better)
  • ½ lb 2% colby cheese, shredded
  • Tortila strips to garnish (optional)
  • Cilantro to garnish (optional)
Instructions
  1. In a pan over low heat combine the four cans of soup, whisking together until smooth.
  2. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, salsa, green chilies, onion powder and minced garlic to the pan.
  3. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to keep the soup from sticking.
  4. Reduce the heat and simmer the ingredients together for one hour.
  5. After an hour of simmering add the chicken breast chunks to the mixture and simmer for another 30 minutes.

I can't wait for you to try this recipe~it's seriously delish! Let me know what you think....


1 comment:

  1. I loved those fun times too! We need to do it again soon! What is coming to town soon? Did I ever make my recipe of the soup for you? Great idea with the Velveeta. Great minds think alike! Ha That's what my recipe calls for. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) LOVE LOVE LOVE your posts!

    ReplyDelete